BA, BEAD, MA, MSc, DBA, LLM, MScPI, MPPA(Cand.)
After working his way through graduate school as a journalist, Allan worked for a time in municipal government and for a Schedule III agency of the Ontario Government (TVOntario). He then founded a communications company which has helped the highest need clients on 5 continents face some of the most contentious issues of our times. He is studying for his 7th post-graduate degree (Full bio appended) Bonner’s first post-graduate degree was in Education. He has been accredited in two Canadian provinces. For 30 years he has taught regularly at the post-graduate level. He has been a sessional, contract, and intensive one-day instructor at: Seneca College, Centennial College, the Banff School of Fine Arts, the Canadian Police College, the Federal Study Centre, the Canadian Foreign Service Institute, York University, Osgoode Hall Law School, Leicester University, and the University of Regina. He has been a guest lecturer at the George Washington University, the University of Western Ontario, the University of Ottawa, the University of Toronto, New York University, the John Jay College of Criminal Justice, and many others.
Allan Bonner has helped approximately 30,000 senior executives, over thirty years, to deal with some of the most controversial and public issues of our time. He has worked with the military, including Peacekeepers, the Provost Marshall, the Judge Advocate General (JAG), and the Military Complaints Commissioner. He has helped international diplomats, domestic, central, and offshore banks, 11 oil, gas, and chemical companies, and other blue chip clients on five continents. His political work includes helping 12 heads of government, 100 cabinet ministers, G7, G8, and UN delegations, the WTO, NATO, IAEA, and many others. He has worked in Hong Kong, Seoul, Tokyo, Bangkok, Beijing, Singapore, Canberra, Budapest, Geneva, Bled, Vienna, Kuwait City, Nairobi, most American States, Mexico, and all Canadian Provinces.
Allan began as a journalist at the network and local levels in Canada and the US, and now holds graduate degrees in political science, education, business administration, law, and urban planning. In addition, he was the first North American and still only Canadian to have been awarded a post-graduate degree in risk, crisis, and disaster management. He has taught writing and crisis management at the college and university level and has been a guest lecturer by request at several universities and colleges in the US, UK, and Canada. He has been trained in both negotiation skills and leadership at Harvard University’s John F. Kennedy School of Government. His studies in dispute resolution were at Osgoode Hall Law School.
Two of Allan’s long-standing clients are Nobel Peace Prize recipients.
For recreation, Allan has studied eastern philosophy and the Martial Arts for 20 years. He has made only modest progress. He plays the guitar badly and sings even worse.
Allan is also the author of 11 books on business issues including:
- Speaking, Writing and Presenting in SOCKOs
- An Ounce of Prevention: Navigating Your Way Through Damage Control and Crisis Response
- Political Conventions: The Art of Getting Elected and Governing
- Tough Love at the Table: Power, Culture and Diversity in Negotiations, Mediation & Conflict Resolution
- Political Columns: Behind the Scenes with Powerful People
- Media Relations
- Doing and Saying the Right Thing
All are used by high profile clients on five continents and many have been used as texts at leading universities.
He is a regular keynote speaker at conferences and universities across North America. Allan has also spoken in Dubai, Beijing, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Singapore, Canberra and Seoul. He is often asked to comment on public policy on network television in North America and Europe, including CBS, CTV, NBC, ABC, CNBC, Europe, PBS, NPR, CBC and Global. Allan’s recent speaking engagements include:
- International Association of Business Communicators ( Los Angeles, New York, Toronto)
- The Public Relations Society of America
- The National Conference on Disaster Management
- Canadian Public Relations Society
- The Insight Conference on Crisis Communication and Risk Management
- The Ontario Association of Chiefs of Police
- The Tokyo and Princeton Chambers of Commerce
- The Rhode Island Emergency Management Agency
- The National Business Show
- The Emirates International Disaster and Environment Conference 1998 (EIDEC ’98) in Dubai